Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Some Slight Craftiness...

I've been working on these fabric Modge-Podge'd canvases for Kyler's room for a while now(most of the time just in my head haha), and am so glad to finally have them DONE! Here is a mini-tutorial of how I did it, there may be easier ways for other people.

First, I drew a rough-draft of the picture that I wanted on paper to get it all figured out(top pic). Then I bought cheap posterboard at the $1 store and traced the canvas size onto them and cut it out so I knew what size I was working with, and re-drew the pictures on them in the size they would be(the use of a projection machine would have been nice if I had access to one, but I was stuck re-drawing them).

Then, in the below picture, I cut out the outlined shapes on the posterboard, and labeled each by the color of fabric I wanted it to be(the hardest part of the whole thing was just deciding what colors to put where!). Using those pieces as templates, I put them face-down on the right-side-down fabric and traced, then cut them out.

The canvases needed to be recovered with the background fabric, which I just did with a staplegun as if I were recovering a chair. Then using the original drawing on regular paper, I put the pieces back together and modge-podge'd them on! (using a matte modge-podge and no, I did not modge-podge the entire background fabric)

Okay, I LOVE how the school bus turned out, and the truck. The train, not so much. Pretty much I hate it. But whatever, it's done, I'll re-do it "someday." Kyler's favorite things are trains... so it's going to have to stay up. He really likes them all, and I think it's so sweet that he refers to them as "mommy bus... mommy train... & mommy truck!" I keep trying to tell him that no, they're KyKy's - but I think this is his way of recognizing that I made them for him :) what a cutie!

3 comments:

The Jensen's said...

Once again, you're so crafty!! Those are so cute!! And such a good idea, good work!

Sami and Mark said...

Seriously? I think the train looks awesome! They all look awesome really. What a fun project!

Unknown said...

I have to add my two sense that I also think the train looks fab.